Coding: Projection Mapping

For our final coding project we were allowed to choose between three briefs: make a 3D model, make a HTML based code, or make a projection mapping.

I chose to make a projection, which uses the keystone library to make surfaces which you can then calibrate. When it is being projected, enabling calibration allows you to drag the corners of each ‘surface’ that you’ve created to different surfaces, in my case 2 sides each of 3 boxes. This distorts the surfaces to appear as though they are fitting to the 3D objects.

I used skills I’d learnt previously in this module to create an animation of a castle that moves up and down, and add sound effects at different times, based on the frame count. I also figured out how to make ‘fairies’ which move in a random sequence.

Below is the final projection. The video does not capture how it appears to wrap around the boxes very well, as the light of the castle was too bright and too contrasted for the camera to capture properly. It appears to glow and doesn’t show any shadow or shape.

 

Advertisements

Assessment Piece: Development and Testing

Since the conception of this plan, my film has gone through many changes and developments, not to mention a period of learning with Premiere Pro being a new skill.

A narrative was recorded to play over the film, which has since been discarded. An homage to Pipilotti Rist was added, the film was edited in a stylist fashion, including flashbacks being shown in an old fashioned TV format, and three sequences were arranged together.

I have also made protest placards to add to the presentation, which link the presentation back to the flashback protest scenes seen in the film. The placards also serve to make the viewer consider protest in general, the potential for change vs the apathy of populations, during this time of political unrest.

The film could echo a multitude of current political issues, including the women’s marches, Trump and feminism, trade and brexit, and unrest in the population overall. I therefore like the addition of the placards, as they add more dimension to the film, both literally and metaphorically. I like that this film provides the opportunity for it to be interpreted in many ways, with the common message of activism made clear by the placards in front.

Today I began building the signs (painting sourced cardboard and stapling on table-sawed sticks) and testing their arrangement. The film was clearly visible on top of the signs, which I purposefully built to be washed out. The washed-out, perhaps rained-on aesthetic, adds to the authenticity of the placards that I was hoping for.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Final Test:

Assessment Piece: Presentation Plans

While editing and developing my film, I improved the flashback clips to appear more as if they are on a vintage television, using effects and masks. I have also since added bananas over the faces of the few men in the film, mostly on the side films, in order to give another hint, and style

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I am approaching completion of my film and must now arrange my three sequences onto into one presentation.

I have been considering how I would like the film projected on the show reel, and I am now considering getting a performance slot so that I can have the film projected onto a specific backdrop. It would be protest signs to link the banana idea to the flashback protests, and hint at the message of the film.

If I decide to make this backdrop, I will need a presentation slot, and to take some measurements. It will only fit approximately, I imagine. I will need to go and buy some fluorescent yellow card, some white card, large markers, and sticks for the handles. I would then nail it into the wall, making use of the workshop, but I’m not sure if health and safety would allow for that at the moment.

There is still a lot to consider.