3: Brush Tools.
I created a series of brush tools. They can be seen below. There is also an eraser brush and a backspace function which clears the screen. The size of the brushes can be increased as well.
4. Object Based Processing
Each part of the object is constructed into one, which can include any combination of parts. I had two classes of objects: snowmen, and trees. You can see there is variation in each. The snowmen move.
Our second brief was to create an image about a specific film, character, scene, or the act of watching films. Having just attended the Melbourne Film Festival, or MIFF, I chose to make an illustration about the film I saw: Rabbit. It is a psychological thriller about the telepathic link between twins, and fate.
For this reason I made the composition symmetrical, which fits in best with the idea of twins. The main character whom the film is named after, Rabbit, is depicted with rabbit ears, and the baddie is depicted as a predator, perhaps a dingo, as it is an Australian film. Rabbit is therefore shown as the prey, her fate is being destroyed by the baddies. The dingo in fact holds a dead rabbit.
The other predators in the composition are an Australian owl, snake and spider. The pattern on the trees was inspired by the aboriginal art I have been seeing so much of in galleries around Australia.
This was my first proper drawing done on Photoshop. I used a Wacom Intuos Tablet lent to me by the university. I am happy with the outcome, although it was fiddly. I first drew each part of the composition out by hand separately, and then scanned them in, traced and coloured them, and then reassembled them. I learned to do each colour in a separate layer so that I could play with colours. I would definitely like to use the Intuos tablet again.
In the first lecture I became more familiar with code, starting as a complete beginner. We learned how to draw basic shapes and colour them in a window using coordinates. You can see the finished product below.
In the second lecture we learned about variables, which allow one to have repeating structures, from each loop of the code. We also learned about adding loops, and conditional statements. I used all of these techniques to create a repeating pattern, that varies with each repetition in the colour of tea. The colours of the background are random, ie. different each time the program is played. The ants were created by making an ‘adult’ shape comprised of ‘child’ shapes. It could then be translated into various coordinates, which I also made random.
Our first lesson in Photographic Art Direction class was about making use of flashes, and different lighting situations in the studio. We also learned about aperture, and using light monitors to determine which F-stop to use.
The task was to photograph an object of our choice in 6 different lighting situations. We then edited them. These are the photos I ended up with.
The first brief for illustration was to make a card for a significant day, which could be as obscure as you would like. It was very flexible; you can see the brief below.
One of my first ideas was for the first day of school being a red letter day. You can see plans for this too, but as first ideas often are, it was uninspiring. I moved onto an idea about family being together for red letter days, and about family missing those events.
To illustrate this I wanted to use an unfinished embroidery, which connotes the older generation. It is unfinished to show that the character behind the embroideries has died, and will be missing the graduation she is making an embroidery to celebrate.
To make a timeline of family red letter days clear, I decided to make a series, and eventually that a scrapbook would be a good way of showing this. Below is my finished piece.
Since the conception of this plan, my film has gone through many changes and developments, not to mention a period of learning with Premiere Pro being a new skill.
A narrative was recorded to play over the film, which has since been discarded. An homage to Pipilotti Rist was added, the film was edited in a stylist fashion, including flashbacks being shown in an old fashioned TV format, and three sequences were arranged together.
I have also made protest placards to add to the presentation, which link the presentation back to the flashback protest scenes seen in the film. The placards also serve to make the viewer consider protest in general, the potential for change vs the apathy of populations, during this time of political unrest.
The film could echo a multitude of current political issues, including the women’s marches, Trump and feminism, trade and brexit, and unrest in the population overall. I therefore like the addition of the placards, as they add more dimension to the film, both literally and metaphorically. I like that this film provides the opportunity for it to be interpreted in many ways, with the common message of activism made clear by the placards in front.
Today I began building the signs (painting sourced cardboard and stapling on table-sawed sticks) and testing their arrangement. The film was clearly visible on top of the signs, which I purposefully built to be washed out. The washed-out, perhaps rained-on aesthetic, adds to the authenticity of the placards that I was hoping for.