Coding: Animation

For this brief we had to make an animation that of course changed over time, and lasted at least a minute. It could have an interactive element and include video, images or audio. Mine includes audio; a water sound which plays continually, and a drop sound that occurs when one clicks the screen. A ripple also appears and expand when one clicks the screen.  The background sound is represented with stereo sound waves made of bubbles.

It is also interactive in that when you click in the vicinity of one of the moving fish, they turn around and swim in the other direction.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

Advertisements

Coding: Random Poster

Our brief for the first main project was to create an image that varied each time the code was run, and then to print a poster of one iteration of the visual code.

My code was based on broken glass. The class of the ‘smash’ appeared in random places and the lines changed directions, and the quadratic shapes changed shape each time, so each ‘smash’ was different.

I had an array of colours which it selected from, in a few different palettes. So each time it ran, the palette of the window’s contents varied, along with the position of the cracks.

Each time it was run, it saved a PDF of the window. I put a few iterations of the code together for my poster, in the shape of a window, following the theme of the broken glass.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

Photography: Portraits and Street Fashion

Two of my favourite projects in Photographic Art Direction were Portraiture and Street Fashion. For portraiture we worked in pairs, taking photos of each other both indoors and out. Indoors we used our knowledge of how to best use lighting, and outdoors we used various focal lengths to achieve a blurrier background than foreground. Composition was also very important in all shots. I had a lot of fun with this project, even when we were approaching fashionable strangers to ask if we could take their photos.

The only downside of this project was that two of my classmates took photographs of me, and will be printing my portrait at 20×30″ for an exhibition. The photo I have chosen to print this size for the exhibition is the profile shot with dramatic studio lighting.

Please note that the photos have been scaled down to be added to this website.

 

Illustration 3: Boxaphobia

Thinking of a concept was the most time consuming part of this project for me. The brief was to create a kind of packaging, which related to a phobia. While illustrating a phobia was not an issue, thinking of a related product/packaging was a challenge. Below you can see the start of a few ideas, before I found one I was happy with, which I then developed. The chosen idea was pseumatipophobia- a fear of spirits. The packaging was for various spirits; tequila, vodka and rum, and the illustrations were also of spirits relating to the countries from which the types of alcohol originated.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

When I had finished researching the idea, I made a concept design for the first week and developed two different fonts, as typography was an important aspect of this project.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I developed three watercolours, but the hummingbird didn’t completely fit in with the others as it was not as monotone or scary. I then edited it on photoshop. I put the fonts together with the watercolour illustrations, both edited on photoshop, and put the illustrations on a graphic template of a bottle, sourced from freepik.com. Similar things can be found on graphic burger.com.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

Coding 3,4

3: Brush Tools.

I created a series of brush tools. They can be seen below. There is also an eraser brush and a backspace function which clears the screen. The size of the brushes can be increased as well.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

4. Object Based Processing

Each part of the object is constructed into one, which can include any combination of parts. I had two classes of objects: snowmen, and trees. You can see there is variation in each. The snowmen move.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Illustration 2: Celluloid Heroes

Our second brief was to create an image about a specific film, character, scene, or the act of watching films. Having just attended the Melbourne Film Festival, or MIFF, I chose to make an illustration about the film I saw: Rabbit. It is a psychological thriller about the telepathic link between twins, and fate.

For this reason I made the composition symmetrical, which fits in best with the idea of twins. The main character whom the film is named after, Rabbit, is depicted with rabbit ears, and the baddie is depicted as a predator, perhaps a dingo, as it is an Australian film. Rabbit is therefore shown as the prey, her fate is being destroyed by the baddies. The dingo in fact holds a dead rabbit.

The other predators in the composition are an Australian owl, snake and spider. The pattern on the trees was inspired by the aboriginal art I have been seeing so much of in galleries around Australia.

This was my first proper drawing done on Photoshop. I used a Wacom Intuos Tablet lent to me by the university. I am happy with the outcome, although it was fiddly. I first drew each part of the composition out by hand separately, and then scanned them in, traced and coloured them, and then reassembled them. I learned to do each colour in a separate layer so that I could play with colours. I would definitely like to use the Intuos tablet again.