Illustration 3: Boxaphobia

Thinking of a concept was the most time consuming part of this project for me. The brief was to create a kind of packaging, which related to a phobia. While illustrating a phobia was not an issue, thinking of a related product/packaging was a challenge. Below you can see the start of a few ideas, before I found one I was happy with, which I then developed. The chosen idea was pseumatipophobia- a fear of spirits. The packaging was for various spirits; tequila, vodka and rum, and the illustrations were also of spirits relating to the countries from which the types of alcohol originated.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

When I had finished researching the idea, I made a concept design for the first week and developed two different fonts, as typography was an important aspect of this project.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I developed three watercolours, but the hummingbird didn’t completely fit in with the others as it was not as monotone or scary. I then edited it on photoshop. I put the fonts together with the watercolour illustrations, both edited on photoshop, and put the illustrations on a graphic template of a bottle, sourced from Similar things can be found on graphic

This slideshow requires JavaScript.



Coding 3,4

3: Brush Tools.

I created a series of brush tools. They can be seen below. There is also an eraser brush and a backspace function which clears the screen. The size of the brushes can be increased as well.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

4. Object Based Processing

Each part of the object is constructed into one, which can include any combination of parts. I had two classes of objects: snowmen, and trees. You can see there is variation in each. The snowmen move.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Illustration 2: Celluloid Heroes

Our second brief was to create an image about a specific film, character, scene, or the act of watching films. Having just attended the Melbourne Film Festival, or MIFF, I chose to make an illustration about the film I saw: Rabbit. It is a psychological thriller about the telepathic link between twins, and fate.

For this reason I made the composition symmetrical, which fits in best with the idea of twins. The main character whom the film is named after, Rabbit, is depicted with rabbit ears, and the baddie is depicted as a predator, perhaps a dingo, as it is an Australian film. Rabbit is therefore shown as the prey, her fate is being destroyed by the baddies. The dingo in fact holds a dead rabbit.

The other predators in the composition are an Australian owl, snake and spider. The pattern on the trees was inspired by the aboriginal art I have been seeing so much of in galleries around Australia.

This was my first proper drawing done on Photoshop. I used a Wacom Intuos Tablet lent to me by the university. I am happy with the outcome, although it was fiddly. I first drew each part of the composition out by hand separately, and then scanned them in, traced and coloured them, and then reassembled them. I learned to do each colour in a separate layer so that I could play with colours. I would definitely like to use the Intuos tablet again.


Coding 1,2: Shapes and Repeating Patterns



In the first lecture I became more familiar with code, starting as a complete beginner. We learned how to draw basic shapes and colour them in a window using coordinates. You can see the finished product below.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

In the second lecture we learned about variables, which allow one to have repeating structures, from each loop of the code. We also learned about adding loops, and conditional statements. I used all of these techniques to create a repeating pattern, that varies with each repetition in the colour of tea. The colours of the background are random, ie. different each time the program is played. The ants were created by making an ‘adult’ shape comprised of ‘child’ shapes. It could then be translated into various coordinates, which I also made random.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Photography 1: Lighting

Our first lesson in Photographic Art Direction class was about making use of flashes, and different lighting situations in the studio. We also learned about aperture, and using light monitors to determine which F-stop to use.

  • Snoot
  • Wide angle reflector
  • Soft box
  • Honeycombs

The task was to photograph an object of our choice in 6 different lighting situations. We then edited them. These are the photos I ended up with.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Illustration 1: Red Letter Days

The first brief for illustration was to make a card for a significant day, which could be as obscure as you would like. It was very flexible; you can see the brief below.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

One of my first ideas was for the first day of school being a red letter day. You can see plans for this too, but as first ideas often are, it was uninspiring. I moved onto an idea about family being together for red letter days, and about family missing those events.

To illustrate this I wanted to use an unfinished embroidery, which connotes the older generation. It is unfinished to show that the character behind the embroideries has died, and will be missing the graduation she is making an embroidery to celebrate.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.


To make a timeline of family red letter days clear, I decided to make a series, and eventually that a scrapbook would be a good way of showing this. Below is my finished piece.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.